How to migrate Firefox from XP to Vista
So Dave (for better or worse) decided to try out the shiny new Vista discs we received the other day on his computer at work. As a Microsoft ActionPack subscriber we get all the cool new gear periodically in the post. Dave re-installs his computer quite frequently, so we’re well trained in the art of migration, however Vista threw us a curveball or two. One of the was transferring Firefox.
Usually you just copy the Profiles directory from ~/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox, but that didn’t seem to cut it with Vista. We managed to work around it though, so here’s what we did:
Disclaimer: This isn’t what’s recommended by Mozilla, it’s just what worked for us. YMMV.
- Install Firefox on Vista, launch it once, then close it. Make sure Firefox on XP is closed also
- XP: Back up C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. It should contain only one folder, which has a garbage name.
- Vista Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and then enter the only folder in there, which should have a name similar to the one inside Profiles that you backed up earlier.
- Go into the weird folder inside your backup, hit ctrl+A (select all), then ctrl+C (copy)
- Go inside the weird folder on Vista and paste (ctrl+V) all the stuff over the top. As you can see we are just migrating the contents of the weird folders from the backup to the new installation.
- On Vista, go up 4 levels until you get to C:\Users\<username>\AppData. Now go in to the “Roaming” folder, then Mozilla, Firefox, Profiles to get to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.
- Perform the same operation to copy the contents of the weird folder in your backup into the weird folder on Vista
Now all you have to do is start Firefox and pray.
I’m not sure if this method isn’t overkill – I suspect you can skip copying stuff in to the Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles directory and just deal with the Roaming.
If anyone has any more information or experience on this I would be happy to update this post!