Google Webmaster Guidelines
Webmaster Guidelines :
ok lets Look the first part.
When your site is ready:
* Have other relevant sites link to yours.
This is the most important area IMO and also the most dangerous, if you think a quick fix would be to just run out and buy a few 100 links, stop and think about this for a moment. If your link BUYING get seen but Google you will be banned.
Check out Your competitor Links and think of creative ways of a) them swapping the link to yours b) adding your link
but be careful again the site maybe owned by your competitor.
Get your press releases out, and really push your USP.
If you work in an industry that has good authority keep to push some of that authority to your site, recently I saw an Authority Site which allowed it’s members to have a profile page, on one profile page the guy talks about his love of campervans, and links to his personal campervan site, which in turn links to his PhotoCopier website .. hmm a PR8 photocopier site, Thats how you pass authority.
* Submit it to Google at http://www.google.com/addurl.html.
Not needed, if you have back links going to your site, Google prefers to find you site than be told about it
* Submit a Sitemap as part of our Google webmaster tools. Google uses your Sitemap to learn about the structure of your site and to increase our coverage of your webpages.
Again i’m not happy about this, 2 reasons
a) Google is a link based search engine if you don’t have enough juice to get fully crawled then you need to find more backlinks, giving google a XML sitemap if you PR is low is the quickest way to get into supplemental index
b) You don’t know if Google found that page naturally ( bonus points ) or just because you fed it a autogenerated page of links
* Make sure all the sites that should know about your pages are aware your site is online.
so build a corp blog and ping the blog sites, get press releases out
* Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites.
be careful again to many directories links may be a bad signal, and YES YES on Yahoo directory