Aww, Good ol’ Google!
I know we complain sometimes when things aren’t ranking where they should be, and we get junk for our search results… and some other stuff…
But Google’s claims to be an over-all ethcial company still hold true (they’re angels in comparison to other corporations anywhere near the size). Look at just the last few days:
1. Google are helping us in the UK out by building a huge technology community centre in London. This will help with jobs, training, and of course the over-all economy.
2. Google are offering to give $75 Million for a solar electricity project on peoples houses, helping to build a more sustainable future.
3. Google have put the 2,400 year old Dead Sea Scrolls online for all to see. Great for historic and cultural reasons.
4. An ex-director at Google (who is obviously still a shareholder and is very wealthy from it) wants his and other very wealthy people’s taxes raised! I know this isn’t Google itself but it kind of goes to show that he’s not greedy and can see that some of his vast sums of money would be better spent elsewhere… a sentiment Google claims itself holds.
5. Google want to replace existing broadband infrastructure to provide people with faster broadband, and to make it for FREE!
6. Google has provided free access and mapping technology, working through Google Earth Outreach Program for a few years now, but just this week a couple of Canadian activist groups will be able to release their data in order to help save forestry and wildlife.
7. Google has just exposed its carbon footprint (showing that they’re carbon neutral) and prompted calls for other corporations to act the same.
Sure they’ll make mistakes, but Google’s heart is in the right place really… don’t you think?!