Anatomy of a Twitter Application for the Favorite Function
This is a guest post by Rishil – Explicitly.me/
For those of you who don’t know what the favorite function is (really? ), from day one twitter has allowed you to tag tweets with the use of their teen tiny star:
Some people use it for showing their appreciation for a tweet they like, while others like me:
TIP: If you see a blog link on twitter you think may be interesting, but don’t have the time to read, bookmark it by using the favorite button.
I actually find that function a very useful one, and I use it very often. It’s an easy way to mark your tweets for future reading, or to bookmark someone’s comment that you would like to use later, maybe in reference to a talk or a post. What I don’t find very useful is the functionality in reading and sifting these – I would love to search within my favs for a particular subject or topic. I would love to be able to sort by person, subject or tag or something.
Now there aren’t many sites that cater to this particular functionality of twitter – and I think it’s the most under developed one, with really good potential. After all – I see loads of links everyday and I would like read, but haven’t got the time. Yes I could use, the “favorite” feature as is, but I really want more. I think in these days of hyper posting, it may end up becoming a very useful site.
Now I am no developer, nor do I have the time or money to invest in a really cool application that may or may not take off. I wouldn’t know how to monetize it either. So I cooked up this idea one night and thought why not share it and see if someone builds it? If you do, and it takes off, I am happy for you
Concept: Book Marking and Social Voting Site based on Twitter Favorite Function
Potential Domain: Favved.com/co.uk (with Favved as main verb i.e “favved!”)
Summary: Grab links that have been marked using the Favorit Function on twitter. Ideally allow users to create their own “Favs” and let them tag them up – alternatively try and use some sort of tagging function to sort and tag tweets based on key content of aggregate of tweets that favorite the link in question.
- Allow tagging of tweets / favs
- Sort tweets by most favved er category
- allow users to see who else favved the tweet
- Allow users to “fav” directly from web interface
- Allow users to sort their own favs in their accounts and mark them as “read” or add notes (private or public notes)
- Allow users to add a “Faved” button on their site to indicate how many times the link has been book marked.
- Similar functionality to Reddit / Digg when reading the favs – i.s an automatic summary is pulled off from the post, or if an image lik, image is displayed on the site.
Well there you go Good luck to whoever builds it – if not, oh well.